Flicken's Blog

Ich bin Flicken, ja! Traditional Islam, food, guns, camping, grammar, Canadianna, Arabic, stuff.

Monday, June 30, 2008

Kenyan-Canadian Coffee Cajolery

Yesterday, I went to buy coffee for the company. To my surprise, the shop close to the office carries Kenyan coffee. I ordered 500 grams with two thirds golden and one third dark and had it ground. By the time I reached the office I realized I had made a big mistake: this was supposed to be for American drip coffee but it was ground too fine, as if for Turkish coffee. Of course, it didn't work in the drip coffee machine. The murasil at work made me Turkish coffee out of it but I don't really like Turkish coffee, so I can't comment fairly.

Later yesterday while I was in a lesson, I received a missed call and then a text message from a fellow Vancouverite expat (who happens to be a good guy other than the fact that he likes Caffe Artigiano, but alas, no one is perfect) telling me that he bought me a quarter kilogram of the preferred bean of Egyptian-Canadian coffee connoisseurs: Kenyan AA. I picked it up today and gave the Ministry of the Interior very clear instructions: grind coarsely (by Arab standards), increase the amount of coffee, and let it cook longer. She did so and the results were absolutely to die for: the first shot was bold and full of subtly complex yet fruity notes. By the third shot, the much-desired acidity had set in.

Apparently, my Kenyan-Canadian friend found the shop that sells these wonderful beans next to Gerard's ice cream shop in the Abdoun Circle; I believe it's called Baraka Coffee or something similar. He paid a premium too: 4 JD for a quarter kilogram; in contrast, nibari goes for 1.70 JD per 250 grams.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home