Flicken's Blog

Ich bin Flicken, ja! Traditional Islam, food, guns, camping, grammar, Canadianna, Arabic, stuff.

Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Granular Ruminations III: Processed Corn Stinks

There is something particularly unpleasant about the smell of microwavable popcorn and corn chips; they really smell like dirty socks and diapers, respectively. I've had to put up with this smell for several years while working in the United States and Canada. Recently, I found that I was not alone in my disdain for the smell of microwaved popcorn: someone at work nuked grits with the office door open, causing our neighbours across the hall to complain that they were close to suffocating. (Of course, I don't find the smell of cigarette smoke that their employees inundate us with any better.) To add insult to injury, one day my beloved co-workers prepared microwavable popcorn with cheese flavouring. Later that day, I received the following email:

As-salaamu alaykum Mr. Abu Fluffy:

I just entered the other office right now, your office, and you are right the smell of the office stinks just like old socks. So on behalf of me and Hiraganasan, we would like to apologise for the smell.

Ps. The popcorn isn’t ours even! But we volunteered to make it :(

Alhamdulillah, they've stopped making microwaved popcorn since that day, at least when I'm around.

4 Comments:

  • At 8:06 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    A. Corn of the popped variety has totally been made since then. Perhaps your sense of smell is not as keen as you thought.

    B. Said email writers have eaten said popcorn, I believe. All concur that popcorn with nacho cheese powder is smelly.

    C. Female coworkers of complainers next door reported that they loved the smell of the popcorn and we should give them some the next time we make it.

    D. Popcorn is yummy.

     
  • At 10:24 PM , Blogger Flicken said...

    Somehow I knew that, after writing a pair of articles that took me days and weeks (respectively) of thought and research and getting no feedback, I could write something utterly silly and solicit a response.

     
  • At 6:49 PM , Blogger UmmFarouq said...

    Brother, that's the way it always is. My most "heart-poured-into" posts solicit very little in the way of responses. Silliness, like "Camel Meat On Sale at Safeway," however, got me 14 comments.

    Salam, co-worker. I like your code name.

     
  • At 7:38 PM , Blogger Flicken said...

    Well, it certainly appears that posts related to food and drink solicit responses.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home