Flicken's Blog

Ich bin Flicken, ja! Traditional Islam, food, guns, camping, grammar, Canadianna, Arabic, stuff.

Saturday, April 12, 2008

Halo's Etymology According to Lisan Al-Arab

While I heard the woman's name Hala in the past, this time around I decided to look it up, telling my wife that I didn't think it was Arabic. I found it under the root of ha-ya-lam. Ibn Manthur defines it as being a halo and comments that it's either Arabicized Roman or Hebrew. (When the classical Arabs referred to, "Roman" they often meant Roman or Greek, as the Roman Empire was essentially Greek in its later days, especially after Christianity. Sometimes, "Roman" even meant, "European" to the Arabs.) He then goes on to say that it is derived from the Roman word for the light of the sun. This makes sense, as the Ancient Greek sun god was named Helios. However, what's interesting is that no English dictionaries that I've seen derive the etymology of halo from Helios.

3 Comments:

  • At 2:07 AM , Blogger gentleexit said...

    The Halo (or Nimbus) depicting the sun's rays, surrounded Helios' head.

     
  • At 2:23 AM , Blogger Flicken said...

    Thanks for the comment. However, I have yet to find an English dictionary that spells out the connection between the halo and Helios. (I haven't looked hard though.)

     
  • At 1:20 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I really like your blog and i really appreciate the excellent quality content you are posting here for free for your online readers. thanks peace dale tuck

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home