Flicken's Blog

Ich bin Flicken, ja! Traditional Islam, food, guns, camping, grammar, Canadianna, Arabic, stuff.

Saturday, April 12, 2008

Lexical Search Yields Gold

Back in July 2004, I obtained a recorded commentary on Qurrat Al-Absar fi Seerat An-Nabi Al-Mukhtar, a versified Mauritanian biography of the Prophet Muhammad (sallallahu alayhi wa sallam). The recording included recited verses detailing the Prophet's lineage (sallallahu alayhi wa sallam), describing Nadr (one of the ancestors) as dhi-s-sikah (ذي السكة). (Note: the kaf in sikah is not doubled: it is sikah and not sikkah; the meaning of the latter is obvious.) I didn't know what the word meant, and thus began the search. At that point, I wasn't even sure if I heard the word properly, as I didn't have a printed copy of verses before me. I asked a number of people, including two scholars of Arabic and they didn't know the word. I searched Lisan Al-Arab and Mu3jam Maqayees Al-Lughah to no avail. I decided I'd try to find a copy of the text. Running around Amman, I was unable to find the book. Finally, I asked one of the Qasid staff who had studied in Mauritania and he had the book. I made myself a copy and then started looking for the verses, only to find that they weren't there. I listened to the recording again and discovered that the reciter said that the author of Qurrat Al-Absar itself identified each ancestor by a letter and that the lines he recited that mentioned them all explicitly were from another work.

Recently, it occurred to me that the words mentioned by the reciter -- 3amood An-Nasab -- were actually the title of another book. If only I could find this book, it would probably contain the elusive verses. I did a Google search and, lo and behold, there was a scanned in manuscript from Al-Azhar on an Islamic forum. I went to download the book but was told I needed to register. Registration failed with a notice saying that no new registrations were being accepted. I wrote to the site owners and explained why I wanted to register. After a few days, I received an email confirming my registration. I downloaded the book, unzipped it and started scanning through the pages: one, two, three, four, and finally five -- there were the verses:


Not only was the word sikah correct, a little note was written above it, "i.e. golden." So, the author of these lines described Nadr as being, "the one of the golden." "Golden what?" I wondered aloud, to which my wife answered, "family." Of course, now it all made sense, alhamdulillah.

(There were some small differences between the manuscript and the recording I had.)

The lines can be translated approximately as:
The lineage that all creation have agreed upon
Because of it rising to prominence through the Prophet:
Ahmad, Abdullah, Abdul-Muttalib
ِAnd Hashim, Abdu Manaf the Elected.
Son of Qusayy, son of Kilab, Murrah
Ka`b, Loai, Ghalib the Radiant Faced;
Fihr, son of Malik and Nadr of the golden [family],
Kinanah, Khuzaymah, and Mudrikah;
[Followed by its] Ilyas and Mudar, Nizar,
Ma`add, Adnan -- around him they revolve.
The reciter then skipped over multiple lines mentioning the Prophet's lineage through his mother (sallallahu alayhi wa sallam) to mention the verses indicating that the ancestors between Adnan and Ismail (peace be upon him) are unknown in name and number.

10 Comments:

  • At 11:26 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Salaam 'Alaikum

    //it is sikah and not sikkah; the meaning of the latter is obvious.//

    What does the latter mean?

     
  • At 3:54 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Assalam alaikum,

    I believe "sikka" means coin.

     
  • At 11:01 PM , Blogger Flicken said...

    Wa alaikum assalam UZ and Haris.

    The original verb sakka means to be tight or narrow.

    Ibn Manthur mentions that the word sikkah appears in three hadiths with three different meanings:

    1. A narrow road lined with palms or other trees. The usage of sikkah to mean, "road" or, "lane" is common in modern spoken Arabic.
    2. A coin, as Haris mentioned. However, the original meaning of it is the piece of metal used to mint coins. According to Ibn Faris, this is derived from the first meaning, b/c the narrowness of the writing on coins resembles a narrow street.
    3. A piece of metal used for digging for the purposes of agriculture.

    I'm also beginning to wonder if the author of the lines actually meant sikkah but used sikah to preserve the meter of the lines. I don't know if this is an acceptable license in Arabic poetry. In that case, "golden" might not be the meaning of the word, but rather, a qualifier (or attribute) of it.

     
  • At 12:59 AM , Blogger Flicken said...

    I asked a poet and scholar of Arabic, and he indicated that removing letter doubling, even if a part of the root word, was an acceptable license in Arabic poetry. Thus, I really think that the word here is sikkah and that the comment I found, "i.e. golden" is a qualifier, so the proper translation would be, "and Nadr of the Golden Sikkah", where sikkah might mean a coin or the minting iron for coins.

     
  • At 10:31 AM , Blogger sheilaX said...

    Shalom,

    Intriguing.

     
  • At 10:08 PM , Blogger Flicken said...

    Glad you liked it. :)

     
  • At 2:55 PM , Blogger al-Kakazai said...

    Salam

    Glad to find this post. Late last night I finally managed to get holf of the text of Qurrat al-Absar along with its commentary by Sh al-Khadim.

    Would it be possible for you to translate lines of the poem please? and perhaps we can add some notes which might be of benefit to students out there?

    I look forward to hearing from you

    Ws

     
  • At 3:46 PM , Blogger Flicken said...

    Wa alaikum assalam.

    If you specify which lines you'd like me to translate, I can work on them. However, I can't translate the whole thing, as that would require more time than I have right now.

     
  • At 12:57 PM , Blogger Maodo DIOP said...

    Can I get this versified poem in pdf ? Qurrat al Absar ?
    Thanks

     
  • At 9:31 PM , Blogger Flicken said...

    Unfortunately, I'm not aware of where you can find this poem in electronic format.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home