Flicken's Blog

Ich bin Flicken, ja! Traditional Islam, food, guns, camping, grammar, Canadianna, Arabic, stuff.

Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Is it Really Ewe?

Arabic has a number of words for sheep and goats:
  1. A billy goat is a tays.
  2. A doe is a 3anz.
  3. A male kid is a jady.
  4. A female kid is a sakhlah.
  5. A ram is a kabsh.
  6. A ewe is a na3jah.
  7. A male lamb is a taly.
  8. A female lamb is a 3abour.
  9. Sheep and goats are collectively known as ghanam, or in the Jordanian dialect, halal (as in, the opposite of haram).
A problem I face here is identifying whether the dairy that comes from ghanam is from sheep or goats. While there is no milk on the face of this planet that I'm able to drink in its natural form, I can consume goat yogurt (which I tried in the US), cheese, etc. However, people in Jordan don't distinguish between milk that comes from goats or sheep. For example, on their official website, Al-Sanabel refers to, "Goats Yoghurt Products" whereas the actual yogurt containers say, "Ewe Yoghurt".

After consuming ewe yogurt from Al-Sanabel and Al-Mazra`a, I concluded that I could only handle goat yogurt, as the ewe yogurt gave me trouble. However, what I found is that the yogurt I would buy from local farmers or bedouins would never give me any trouble. I found it hard to believe that this was always goat yogurt, as many of them own sheep. I began to suspect that the two companies mentioned earlier are mixing in cow milk products into their ewe yogurt. One day when I was in Marj Al-Hamam, I saw a container of Dabaa brand ewe yogurt. It said, "Made from 100% ewe's milk", so I decided to give it a shot. Not surprisingly, it didn't give me any trouble.

The same holds with the sharab (i.e. liquid that meat is cooked in) that is used for mansaf: I used to get sick when eating it. Now I know that if it is made from 100% sheep or goat shaneena, labneh, or jameed, it doesn't cause me trouble. However, a lot of people use cow products in it (which is technically cheating but is more economical). My mother-in-law also told me that some restaurants cheat by adding in tahini, another thing my largely-carnivorous digestive system can't handle.

So, I'm on the search for 100% ewe yogurt. The problem with buying from bedouins and farmers is that they're not that easy to come by in Amman, and Marj Al-Hamam is quite a distance from where I live.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home