Flicken's Blog

Ich bin Flicken, ja! Traditional Islam, food, guns, camping, grammar, Canadianna, Arabic, stuff.

Monday, November 12, 2007

Microsoft Word & Privacy

Recently, a friend of mine was egogoogling when he found a hit. He usually comes up with nothing. He noticed that his name was at the bottom of an article I had posted a couple years ago on a Yahoo group. At the time I posted it, I was using a copy of Microsoft Word licensed to him. I had exported HTML from MS Word and posted it to the Yahoo group. Obviously, at the time, his name did not appear in the rendered HTML or I would have removed it. Now, it does appear, meaning that it was always present in the unrendered HTML. This has implications for those who think they can use MS Word to produce HTML and publish it anonymously to a website.

OK, so maybe I'm naive.

1 Comments:

  • At 7:26 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I've read ms-word documents with "strings" for years. It's horrifying what's in there.

    The indexing is a new one, though

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home