Flicken's Blog

Ich bin Flicken, ja! Traditional Islam, food, guns, camping, grammar, Canadianna, Arabic, stuff.

Saturday, October 27, 2007

Muslim Intellectual Stagnation & Abraham's Sacrifice

Anyone who reads books of Qur'anic exegesis (Ar. tafsir) will recognize that, since the earliest times, Muslim scholars have disagreed regarding which son the Prophet Abraham was ordered to sacrifice: Isma'il or Isaac (peace be upon them all). It is not actually spelled out explicitly in the Qur'an and both sides have their arguments. However, mentioning this to the average Arab Muslim will likely agitate them greatly and might even lead to the assumption that you are a complete ignoramus.

But why? Because Muslims are, by and large, intellectually stagnant on two fronts:
  1. We have stopped studying classical texts of tafsir, fiqh, aqida, etc. After all, we have the ultra-dumbed-down books funded by petro-dollars to teach us everything we need to know. You need Everything Islamic for Imbeciles? We have it! (Note: an excellent tafsir site is Altafsir.com, but it only works well in IE. Also, I've never tried using it in English. Doesn't everyone serious about learning Islam know Arabic anyways?)
  2. We have stopped thinking. Dudes: if we say that Isaac was the one chosen for sacrifice, it does not translate to Israel's right to exist. (I recognize Israel's existence the same way I'd recognize a malignant tumour.) The Qur'an mentions the story of Moses and Pharoah extensively, as well as the story of Soloman and Bilqis, Queen of Saba'. Does Pharoah's damnation and Bilqis's submission indicate that Egypt and Yemen should also be ruled by Jews? Get with it guys. There's something called, "logic." Breath deeply and try thinking it through. The Jews were the Chosen People when they believed in the messengers of God. They lost their status when they disbelieved in the Prophet Jesus and the Prophet Muhammad (sallallahu alayhi wa sallam). If the Prophet Isaac was the one who was to be sacrificed, it won't benefit them with their disbelief.

5 Comments:

  • At 11:27 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Salaam 'Alaikum:

    I use al Tafsir.com in Firefox; it works fine for me. Then again, I so rarely even open IE, I guess I wouldn't know if it works even better in that browser.

    I wouldn't want us to get lost in minutiae (Muslims? Mired in minutiae?). Ishaq or Isma'il, don't lose the meaning of the story which is what happens when you freak out over which son it was. Also, last time I checked, Sayiduna Ishaq was a revered Prophet of Islam, and not held responsible for what the sons of his sons did. So Subhan'Allah...

    -youzee

     
  • At 11:35 PM , Blogger Flicken said...

    1. First and foremost, of course the Prophet Isaac is a prophet, which is why I referred to him as, "the Prophet Isaac" in the article.
    2. The point isn't to get lost in the minutae. The points I'm getting are are two: familiarize yourself with classical texts and think deeply before freaking out.
    3. Do you use Altafsir.com in Arabic or English?

     
  • At 8:57 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Ever heard of a book Ar Rai us Saheeh fi man huwaz Zabih ?
    You seem to have painted everyone with the same brush when you said we have stopped thinking. It is a better statement to make that the Arab world has stopped thinking; the others are chugging along, although a little slowy.
    Have a look here

     
  • At 8:06 AM , Blogger Flicken said...

    Salam Sheepo,

    Thank you for your comment.

    Yes, I realize that my blog posts are generalizations; they are not intended at being thorough research pieces.

    As for my comment that Muslims have stopped thinking, I'm not referring to Muslim scholars, of course. And having grown up among Desis in Vancouver, I cannot say that what I saw among the lay Desis was more impressive than what I saw among the lay Arabs.

     
  • At 5:54 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Cool!
    I agree that Muslim scholars are definitely not stagnant and have not stopped thinking, the Muslim masses, for sure. My comments about the Arabs was probably a generalization as well, so accept my apologies :-)
    By the way, whats this Desi connection? Care to elaborate?

    Jazak Allah!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home