Flicken's Blog

Ich bin Flicken, ja! Traditional Islam, food, guns, camping, grammar, Canadianna, Arabic, stuff.

Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Let Them Eat Cake...Just Not in Jordan

Jordan is a great place, but not for food. The cake here is awful. Try to ask them what kind of cream or shortening they use and you'll be lucky if they even understand the question.

Oh how I miss the scrumptious gateau of Egypt's patisseries, with its fresh dairy cream and butter pastries.

The only sweet shop I'd recommend here is Al-Fay7a, which uses pure butter ghee. However, they only make Syrian sweets.

Another food that is very inferior here is beef. I think they raise dairy cattle exclusively and butcher the male calves they don't need. There's no marbling and no one seems to know what a steak is supposed to look (or taste) like.

On the positive side, the local (baladi) lamb and goat here is great, as is the local cheese.

7 Comments:

  • At 10:14 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Try Wakeem's - Mecca Mall - they custom make any cake u want and use any ingredients you want them to ..just be prepared to $$$

     
  • At 12:12 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    The tortillas are nothing to write home about either...

    but it feels so advanced that someone is actually making tortillas here that I don't like to complain.

    --- UZ

     
  • At 4:57 PM , Blogger UmmFarouq said...

    La Mirabelle has great cake, as does Rawan Cake over off of Mecca St. Pricey, but delicious.

    Best cake comes from my oven, however.

     
  • At 5:29 PM , Blogger Flicken said...

    I haven't tried La Mirabelle.

    Honestly, I'd have to respectfully disagree with you about Rawan: I tried a variety of their stuff and it was the same vegetable-oil-based Abul-Abed attempt at cake that everyone else in Jordan sells.

    I am more than happy to try your cake and I'll gladly pay for it. :)

     
  • At 1:17 PM , Blogger UmmFarouq said...

    Come to think of it, it's been 2 years since I've eaten Rawan cake, so they might have changed (cheapened) their wares in order to pay for the fancy remodeling they did.

    I can send a cake to UZ for an 'office luncheon.'

     
  • At 11:14 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Yay cake in the office!

    -- UZ

     
  • At 7:53 AM , Blogger UmmFarouq said...

    Please give UZ a list of cake preferences.
    The only cake in which any veggie oil is used is my carrot cake, and all recipes I come across call for veggie oil...something to do w/ softening the carrots I believe.
    All other cakes use butter. If any cakes have whipped cream, it is real heavy cream, nothing from a packet.
    Cheesecakes are also available.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home